Sunday, August 7, 2011

Camping Weekend

Camping is much more fun when you can play! My ankle has been holding up well which meant I could mountain bike and run in one of our favorite camping places. Where that is will remain a secret. Very few people and lots of forest service roads running along beautiful creeks. After the usual walking and pylometric warm-up, we were able to do a 30 minute run. We were trying to stick to the 2 minute run/1 minute walk ratio, but it was a little messed up due to Buddy's sporadic sniff stops. Here's Bud patiently indulging me with a photo moment when he really wanted to run and take a dip in the creek.



Wildflowers, including Indian Paintbrush, were abundant.


Mountain biking has been a dream for awhile. It's still a bit risky getting on and off the bike because my ankle still isn't strong enough to take a lot of sudden weight. I've avoided trails because of that, so this forest service road was perfect. There was a lot of climbing even though it doesn't look like it in this photo.

A few nice obstacles thrown in for adventure. I guess this area really flooded in the spring and early summer. Sections of road were covered in jagged rock. Especially nice for me were the motor vehicle restrictions due to huge wash-outs. I had the road completely to myself.

Happy self portrait! The entire ride wasn't much in mileage, but my weak legs were still shaking by the time I was done. Each workout ended with a nice ice bath in the creek near our campsite. A very perfect weekend.


4 comments:

Anne said...

What a wonderful week...seems we were camping at the same time :)

HappyTrails said...

We love perfect weekends, too! What a gentleman Buddy was in pausing for a photo-op. Glad you were able to get out for some running and riding. Beautiful area!

Jo Lynn said...

So nice! I love camping and being able to run and hike is a requirement wherever I go. Feel free to email me your "secret" place. It looks similar to where I like to go. ;)

Danni said...

Fun!!!